Friday, September 10, 2010

Canning Apple Sauce

This is the time of the year to make and preserve apple sauce. I love opening a jar of apple sauce to put on my pancakes. Apple sauce is also great for baking, usually substituting for eggs as a much healthier binder.

If you are not familiar with canning, this is a great way to start. There are many tools out there but the most important ones are a 5 quart pot for cooking your fruit, and a 7-10 quart pot for the canning lined so that the jars are not touching the bottom, I usually use the small lid rings but you could use a steamer basket.

It is important to sanitize your jars and lids. I put my jars in the dishwasher and use the heat dry setting.

I have included a video that will take you through the steps of making apple sauce. Please take the time to watch it through before you start. 








2 comments:

  1. Hey, you shold borrow my chinois, you can cook the apples with the core and the skins and then put them through the sieve. Works awesome for applesauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about the chinois. I think that's definitely the way to go for a smooth apple sauce, I really do like mine chunky though. When I start making food for the baby I will totally borrow it :)

    thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete