Sunday, September 5, 2010

Dehydrating Apples

Dehydrating apples is the best place to start when you are new to a dehydrator. You can use any kind of apple, some are sweeter than others and some are more tart. I find that the sweeter the apple the more they brown. I personally don’t mind at all if they brown a little because I don’t think it has any affect on the taste. If you really don’t want them to turn color you can put them in a lemon or salt water solution for about 10 minutes, and then place them on te dehydrator.

Step one: Use a good chef knife for apples. You will notice that I use a different knife for some of my fruit. If you are having problems cutting, just remember that practice makes perfect, its a great way to work on your knife skills.

Step two: Remember not to leave any skin on the top or the bottom of the fruit. There skin is there to protect the fruit and it does a great job of keeping the moister inside.




Step three: I cant give you an exact measurement on how thick to cut them. The thicker they are the longer they will take to dry but its all the same in the end.  Just look at the pictures and the video to get a good idea.



Step four: I usually put my dehydrators outside. I have never had any issues with bugs, I think it gets to hot in there for them to even try getting in. It is also much more quiet that way. When the house starts to get cold, later in the year, I bring it inside to help out.




Step five: You will know they are done when they come off easily from the tray. This might take about 7-10 hours. I usually start mine early in the day or late in the evening. Don’t worry about over-drying. If you start yours in the middle of the day you can leave them over night and just lower your temperature to the lowest setting (if you have temperature control).

I have some pictures and some video on this post. I hope that the video format does not give you guys too many issues. Hope you have a fun and let me know if you have any questions.

2 comments:

  1. Video in your blog? Very, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get a lot of questions on how thick things should be and when do you know they are done. I figured this was the best way to show that in action :)

    ReplyDelete