Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Intro

Hello to anyone who is interested in preserving food for winter or just eating local food more often. I will begin by saying that I do not know it all, I know this might come as a surprise to a lot of people but its true. If you have any suggestions or ideas please let me know by sending me an email to efrain.arredondo@mac.com .

I have been preserving food for about 4 years now and it is something that I really enjoy. I don't think there is anything better than opening a jar of peaches in May or eating dried strawberries during Christmas time. I love opening a jar and remembering the sunny day I bought the fruit, the conversations I had with the people who were there, and the way I felt connected with the greater community around me. I was hesitant to start this blog in late August, but there is still a lot of work to be done.

Thank you for your interest and please join me on a crazy journey I call Yamhill Squirrel.

8 comments:

  1. You are my hero for starting a blog. I shall read everyday. :) Oh, and btw...due to your wonderful ideas...I bought a dehydrator!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, let me know if you have any questions. Apples and pears are just starting out and they are the easiest thing to dehydrate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alton Brown suggests making a food dehydrator using a box fan, furnace filters (not the fiberglass type) and some bungee chords! That's for those cheap people like me out there. So cool that you are doing this! Love the title!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where are you? What state that is? What brand of dehydrator do you have? I am encouraged and think I will buy one today too and try some apples and pears, maybe plums if the man thinks he would like them.
    What about strawberries, have you ever dried them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in McMinnville Oregon USA. I use the Nesco brand dehydrator, which I think is at the low end of the quality you can buy, but it works well.

    I have dried apples, plums, pears, and strawberries. You just have to always make sure that you follow the instructions similar to the dehydrating plums post at http://yamhillsquirrel.blogspot.com/2010/09/dehydrating-plums.html

    Let me know how things work out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the information. I am in NW Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Efrain,
    Wow, I cant say how proud I am of how well you are doing. I've never canned a food ever in my life. I can remember being in school with you and wondering what everyone was going to do after. You are an amazing person and I look forward to seeing how much canning can be done :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Samantha, I'm having fun with it. Let me know if you have any questions. I might not know the answer but I can probably find someone who does :)

    ReplyDelete