Monday, September 27, 2010

Figs

Thanks to a wonderful friend, today I had my first figs. I look forward to them with excitement every year. I just love figs. The question I get with figs is, how do you tell they are ripe? Usually the fig will begin to drape over a little and become soft. This variety changes to a shade of purple and it is easy to tell when it is ripe. There are other varieties which turn a slightly lighter green but still become nice and soft to the touch.
The other question I get is how do you preserve them? Well I usually don't. I do cut and dry a few just for fun but figs are not easy to get in big quantities and they are so good I just can help but to eat them fresh.

2 comments:

  1. So where do you find figs? And then what do you do with them besides just pop them in your mouth? Do you cook with them at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Courtney,

    A great place to try figs would be the farmers market. They always have figs at this time of the year.

    I have never cooked them before but I have eaten them combined with red wine, and blue cheese on a piece of bruschetta. I think Mark has made something like this before but he might have used dried figs.

    ReplyDelete